4.29.2009

these ones? or those ones?


i preface this story by stating, that i have never claimed to be perfect in my grammar usage...
half of these posts are late night ramblings with lazy typing fingers.


as i was purchasing a new pair of ray bans @ nordies the other day,
the darling sales girl was having a hard time trying to figure out which pair i was asking for:

her: these ones?
me: no, that pair.
her: THOSE ones?
me: yes.
her: these ones look cuder (that's cute without the 'T') on you than those ones.
me: i think you're right. lets take this pair.
her: these ones?
me: yes.

i tried desperately to stifle a laugh by biting my cheeks.
mr downs & ms bestor @ Orem High School (go tigers!) taught me that "these ones" and "those ones" are grammatically redundant and, well, incorrect... wonder where she went to high school. ...

just ask the english teacher!

6 comments:

Erika Gunn said...

Hey Nat--you might like to know that phrases like "these ones" or "tiny child" have an actual term. Pleonasm. Aren't you just tickled? Now you can bite your cheeks and repeat the word pleonasm in your head to keep from laughing.

Natalie* said...

pleonasm!

i love that! thanks, e!

*katie* said...

My mom used to get on my case about that exact phrase when I was teenager. I'm happy to say that it has been eradicated from my vocabulary!

nicole hill gerulat said...

call me, turd.

Nettie Martin said...

Ohhh...Kerry and Phyllis would be SO proud =)

JaNae said...

I could not pass this one up- I've been lurking about your blog for a bit (I'm nicole hansen's older sis) and I love it. But this post hits home. "these ones" is my mom's biggest pet peeve. she even would correct people behind their backs while trying to teach us a lesson "Did you hear what that woman said? 'those ones' is not correct!" I catch myself correcting my husband too- so glad I'm not the only one this bugs. & bytheway- I'm on team Bethany too (down with Kelly!)